Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I'm learning, Mom...

Sometimes my daughter pops out with the simplest statement that has the most profound meaning when I am listening with my heart as well as my ears. Tonight, she said "I'm learning, Mom..." She had called me from the bathroom to tell me that she was done with her bath and wanted to get out of the tub. She knew that I was working so I answered that I would be right there to help her clean up her bath toys before she got out. She yelled back, "I'm doing it already...I'm learning, Mom!" This was the first time ever that she cleaned up the bath toys on her own, without any help from me. When I heard her say that, my mind flashed back to an incident earlier in the day when I had felt my patience waning and my anger rising and suddenly I thought - wow, if only I had remembered then that she is learning! That tiny voice and that simple statement, "I'm learning, Mom..." put my whole day back into perspective. Thank you, my wise and beautiful child for, once again, bringing me back to the present moment. Please be patient with me, too. After all, I'm learning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your participation!